Okay, just had to start off with a gratuitous photo of my puppy. 😉
Today’s topic: Money and Happiness
When people say, “Money can’t buy you happiness”, I always say the same thing my mom says, “Oh, YES IT CAN!” But then I clarify: money can’t buy you total happiness, but it can buy you more happiness than you have now.
There are A LOT of things money can’t fix. But…there are A LOT of things it can. For instance, if I had millions of dollars, I would find A LOT of things to do so that I have a purpose and am not just stuck here sitting and thinking too much every day. Examples:
- I would start my own charity. That takes a lot of time and energy (just ask the lady who founded the dog rescue I used to volunteer for). And it would be so worthwhile. And that would make me happy.
- I would pay off all of my debt. THAT would make me happy!
- I would hire a driver. Then I could go anywhere I wanted and not be stuck at home (the theme here, perhaps)!
- I would travel A LOT. Travel = happy. Maybe I would even set up some charity work in a foreign country.
- I would have a lot of money to find the most awesome therapists and also the most awesome doctors to help me with my nerve disorder.
- I could start my own company. Then I would have a job!
- And finally, I would build my own house that I could decorate and that would have a 25m pool in the backyard so that I could swim laps whenever I wanted.
See? This all would make me very happy. Just sayin’. 😉 Thinking about this reiterated to me how much happier I would (will?) be when I have a purpose/job/career and if I can find some good solutions to my nerve disorder-related stress. So that’s good. But it also stressed me out about my debt, which I try to block out of my mind at all costs.
Do you agree/disagree?
What kind of charity would you start if you could? Mine would have to do with dogs, of course, but also another one with making mental healthcare more accessible —> that is a cause that is very important to me.